1. Food And Drink. Taiwanese Pineapple Cakes. World Cuisine. Ok, so I went to Taiwan early this month (Nov 2015) and you bet I didn’t forget about this sweet treats. Taisan Recipe, Recipe adapted from Goldilock’s Bakebook, makes two loaves 4. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Both have the same filling, but the difference is in the skin. have to try again. 1/4 teaspoon maltose 45g shortening Would love to see your vegan tai yang bing. Flatten the dough with your hand. To make filling. Haha Steamed Cake 1. It’s more like a tart made with a shortcake pastry dough. Then mix maltose+water, plain flour, sugar and shortening into a smooth dough. Fold in flour using … Since I tasted my first ever tai yang bing from Lavender Bakery, it has become my favorite. The sun cake is made of an outer pastry dough which is called a water-oil dough and is made of flour, butter, sugar and water , as well as an inner pastry dough or oil dough prepared from flour and butter. The loaves are buttered on top, sprinkled with sugar and sometimes with grated cheese, and come wrapped in cellophane. Pineapple Filling. Hi, No I don’t. To make oil dough: . It may be due to I overbaked it, which result in shrinkage of the yolk. When it comes to Pineapple Cake and Sun Biscuits, Chia Te and Li Yi are two of the most famous names in the business. Then mix all the ingredients to form a smooth dough. Then mix maltose+water, icing sugar, flour and butter to form a dough. Bao Bing often is also enriched with fresh fruit, especially mango. I see those a lot in Chinese bakeries. © 2009-2021 Messy Witchen. Some stores are famous for Tai yang bing, there are always long thread of people waiting to buy their cake box. Brush egg wash onto the surface and bake in 200oC oven for 11 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. One is called Sun Cakes, and the other is called Wife Cakes. 7. What I like about tai yang bing? The wheat-germ filling is sweet, and the fragrance of the traditional pig lard wafts towards you”. Again mix maltose with warm water. The ice could be crushed coarsely or very finely. “Sun Cake was first baked by Cing-Hai Wei … It was initially a tea dessert … Sun Cake has now become a saucer-shaped puff stuffed with caramel … during the Japanese Colonial Period of Taiwan, Japanese named it as Sun Cake due to its shape and color being similar to Sun, representing Japan. Simply weight the dough and then divide by 10. There are two variations of this cake. What's For Dinner #447 (January 2021) - Happy New Year! Don’t make your tai yang bing too large because it’ll be too thin and the filling might ooze out during baking. It … Are they common in the US? 9. Then divide it into 10 equal parts. Seal the edges and form a smooth ball. The result clearly showed that the baked egg yolk separated from the filling. This Taiwanese Sun Pastry is a very fragile pastry - the pastry is very flaky with a melt in the mouth texture and the filling is a mildly sweet chewy QQ mass because of the use of maltose. Then bake in 200oC oven for 11 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. 10. We are unable to find an exact match for: taiwan pineapple cake. Is any pastry with that red dot in the center a sun cake? 20g butter Divide dough into 10 equal parts. It's the fluffiest, melt-in-your-mouth cake that has a nice scent of honey. A bit tedious but it’s a must. Learn how your comment data is processed. 太陽餅 Tai Yang Bing (Sun Cake) It is further sweetened with sugar syrup or condensed milk. 1. It’s best to use weight measurement. From left water dough, oil dough and filling. What cookbooks have you bought or do you want? https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/140654-sweet-taiwanese-sun-cakes-taiyanpin Tai yang bing (太陽餅) or sun cake is a delicious dessert originated from Taichung, Taiwan. I hope you had a great 2014 and I will bring you more yummy recipes come 2015. Thanks. To make water dough: Place the filling in the center, wrap the dough up and seal the edges. Dec 20, 2013 - A blog about recipe and how to cook tutorials. Then place an oil dough in the center. 2 (20 oz) cans crushed pineapple Scant 1 Cup (200 gm) granulated sugar 1/4 tsp. lol. Line cake tin with baking paper. This is wrapped into the pastry, which is then … Glad the pictures helped. How do you do that? taiwan pineapple cake Recipes at Epicurious.com. Bao Bing is eaten all year r… Wrap the water dough with the oil dough in the middle. I also review eateries from my travel and local eats. Anecdotes: Tai yang bing is a popular Taiwanese dessert originally from the city of Taichung. They’re so yummy and worth it. A slice of taisan paired with a steaming cup of coffee is the perfect merienda for those slow, lazy days. A breakfast item. Remember, only your original recipes and recipes that you have permission to … Lastly roll the dough into circular shape of about 7cm-8cm. 1. Brush egg wash on the surface of the pastry. Holding it upright, slice off the thick skin all … Thank you. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Next, place the roll into standing position. A local bakery sells them, but by the box and I don't want to commit to a large quantity till I know more. Sun Cakes have a thicker pastry skin and Old Wife Cakes have a thinner skin. Place the sealed edge facing the work surface. recipe adapted from Billy Law (from “A Table for Two” blog) yield: about 28 cakes. 5. Asian Recipes. You may unsubscribe at any time. Preheat oven 350°F. 11. This time round, we decided to try Li Yi, another brand name which originated from Jiufen, with an … 20g maltose Let’s bake! It’s called what it’s called because the pastry look exactly like a sun. Happy holidays and cheers! On a floured work surface, flatten the water dough and place an oil dough in the center. Seal the edges. On a floured work surface, flatten the water dough and place an oil dough in the center. Repeat steps 1 to 9 for the remaining 9 sets of doughs. 6. It looks so good I am sure it tastes awesome too. It’s a sponge loaf cake much like mamon. Note: Be careful not to roll the dough too thin or the filling will ooze out during baking. https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/cake/sun-shine-cake.html Get $10 credit when you host your website with VeeroTech. For Filling: Again roll the dough into rectangular shape. ... 15x10x1 inch pan and bake at 350°F for 30 - 40 minutes. 1/2 tablespoon warm water, Egg Wash I had experimented and baked it in three flavors - original, cheese and pork floss flavor. Prepare steamer with enough water. 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water, lightly beaten. Mix all ingredients to form a smooth paste. It's usually baked in a rectangular tin (loaf tin), and once cooled, we put a glaze of clear jelly/apricot glaze on top for a glossy finish and served as simple slices, as anything else would overwhelm the delicate taste of honey. Here’s a little info about sun cakes with pictures …http://mm.ncnu.edu.tw/news.php?cid=83... “Using century-old baking skills, flaky pastry is rolled into multiple layers and formed into the shape of a butter-colored sun. Explore. New & exisiting iHerb customers get 5% off! Roll the filled cake ball in your hands, to even out any seams. Each is filled with a sweet maltose filling. Ingredients Used and Suncake Recipe Overview. This Taiwanese Traditional Sponge Cake has been on my to-bake list for a long time. Making tai yang bing: Roll the dough into circular shape of about 7cm-8cm. Nonetheless, the dessert has become associated with Taiwan, particularly for its use of local pineapples for the filling. Divide into 10 equal portions. I adapted it to be vegan and it worked like a charm! Repeat with the remaining 9 sets of doughs. However this site has a different story …http://www2.tccgc.gov.tw/report/taich... “Sun Cake was first baked by Cing-Hai Wei … It was initially a tea dessert … Sun Cake has now become a saucer-shaped puff stuffed with caramel … during the Japanese Colonial Period of Taiwan, Japanese named it as Sun Cake due to its shape and color being similar to Sun, representing Japan. 50g warm water, Filling Sieve flour and baking powder together a few... 2. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet at least one inch apart, and bake at 350° F for … Many Taiwanese are crazy for Bao Bing, which is the local variety for shaved ice. I’ve updated the recipe. Do you have USA measurements? sun maid raisins pumpkin cake Combine all ingredients and spread on cool cake or bars. Early 2021 edition! Thank you so much for the recipe! 쿠킹씨 Cooking See Recommended for you. ... Pineapple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and Almonds Bon Appétit, September 1998 .... Email A Friend at Epicurious.com. A wonderful recipe very well explained. I like its flaky crust, its sweet filling and most probably because it gives me comfort. Saved ... HOW TO MAKE TAIWANESE SUN CAKES (TAI YANG BING) - … 80g icing sugar by Alexis deBoschnek | Whether you’re gearing up for game day or prepping for one of the many award shows this winter, these... by Miki Kawasaki | There's absolutely nothing wrong with a bowl of basic guacamole, but when you want to spice it up... by Rachel Johnson | Whether the kids are still distance learning or returning to a classroom, with school back in session... by Daphne Chen | Valentine’s Day is on a weekday again this year, but that doesn’t mean you can’t swing a memorable... Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week. And this is exactly what this recipe I’m sharing echo. The form of Tai yang bing are round, of various sizes. Plenty. Is the flour plain flour/all purpose flour? I have not been able to find a formal English translation and name for it, so this is the literal… The three doughs are then divided into 10 equal portions. tried making it and it was a mess. Traditionally prepared since the Qing dynasty era, this delicious Taiwanese flaky pastry filled with gooey, buttery maltose paste is a treat found in every bakery shop in Taichung By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. 25g plain flour cinnamon pinch salt 1/2 cup (150 gm) corn syrup (or liquid glucose) © 2021 CHOWHOUND, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. the water dough was too dry and kept opening up when i wrap the oil dough. Adapted from Irresistible Pastry by Alex Goh Wrap the water dough with oil dough. Now roll the dough into rectangular shape again. Cut the unsalted butter in the mixing bowl and let it return to room temperature before use. It must be wide enough to wrap the filling. Now roll the dough into circular shape. 2. Get latest blog post notice.Enter your email address: Welcome to Messy Witchen! Shape the filled cake into an equal square. My doughs and filling were a bit wet, so I added more flour, but all in all I love the end result & the pictures REALLY helped , Hi Maddie, you’re most welcome. 8. Divide into 10 equal parts. Since I was little, I've always had honey cake. 15g sugar Place the sealed edge facing the work surface. Then divide it into 10 equal parts. Cups/Tablespoons etc…? A guide to understanding Taiwan’s national dish, beef noodle soup, plus gua bao, hot pot, sticky rice dumpling, braised pork rice, scallion pancake, stinky tofu, and more. Roll the dough into circular shape wide enough to wrap the filling. Just looking at these tai yang bing make my mouth water! Now on a floured work surface, flatten a water dough with rolling pin. This will also mark my last post for 2014. 1. Dec 20, 2013 - A blog about recipe and how to cook tutorials. Ingredients: Water Dough 50g bread flour 120g cake flour 40g shortening/lard 20g corn oil 65ml water 20g icing sugar 1/8 tsp salt Oil Dough 105g cake flour Place the pastry on a baking tray with lined baking paper or silicone mat. Now put the roll into stand position. the fillings leaked. Come join in the fun if you like eating, cooking & baking. Hi Lena, yes plain flour. Beat eggs with sugar, salt and vanilla extract till stiff and fluffy. Do share your photo in Instagram if you have one and tag me. Turn it 90o. (I used vegetable shortening instead of regular, and agave+almond milk for the egg wash). Seal the edges and form a round smooth ball. Red Beans Soup With Tangerine Peel & Cream Crackers, D’ Amazing Mekong Kumquat 68% Tiền Giang Single Origin Plus Chocolate Bar, Lạc Rang Húng Lìu (Vietnamese Spiced Roasted Peanuts), Bánh Chả, The Meat Roll Of Traditional Hanoi Snack, For The Love Of ❤️ Bánh Đậu Xanh (Mung Bean Cake), Chinese Spinach Soup With Wolfberries And Garlic, Chinese New Year Cookies: Green Pea Cookies. Trusted Results with Taiwan pineapple cake. Makes 10 pieces, Water Dough If it is very fine, it looks like Sicilian granita. Pineapple cake’s Chinese name, 凤梨酥 fenglisu, means “pastry of good fortune and happiness.” But in English, the word “cake” is a misnomer. My family's favorite is the pork floss flavor as we find it the most delicious as compared to the other two. Then roll it up like Swiss roll. “Classic” Bao Bing is topped with red azuki beans, mung beans, taro balls, peanuts. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. they are generally sold in gift boxes as souvenirs for tourists. 太阳饼 Taiwan Sun Cake MON BAKE琴缘烘培厨房 ... How to make Vanilla Sponge Cake / fluffy cake Recipe / Easy Cake / Genoise - Duration: 7:32. . The “cakes” are actually shaped like cookies. You can check out my tai yang bing recipe here if you’re interested to try it yourself. Grease the base and sides of an 8-inch (20-cm) round or square cake pan, and line the base and sides with greaseproof paper. Mix all ingredients to form a dough. Method: |, How to Stick to Healthy Eating Resolutions for the New Year, The Best Places to Buy Baking Ingredients Online, Easy Shortcuts To a (Mostly) Homemade Valentine's Day Dinner, 13 Easy Ingredient Swaps for Healthier Cooking, Easy Low Sugar Breakfast Recipes to Start Your Day Off Right, Keep Your Gut Healthy with These Probiotic-Heavy Foods, The Most Comprehensive Guide to Yogurt You'll Find on the Internet, 9 Baking Mistakes That Ruin Your Cakes, Cookies, Brownies & Bread, How to Clean Your Dingy Baking Sheets So They Look Like New Again, A Guide to Essential Baking Tools Everyone Should Own, How to Host the Perfect Galentine’s Day Bash, How to Prepare a Hands-On Valentine's Day Finger Food Dinner, How to Throw a Beautiful Valentine's Day Party, The Most Romantic Valentine’s Day Cocktail Ingredients, Win Game Day with These Vegetarian Party Nachos, 11 Ways to Gussy Up Guacamole for Game Day, Quick and Easy Instant Pot Breakfast Recipes for Less Morning Stress, February 2021 Cookbook of the Month VOTING, Home Cooking Dish of the Month - NOMINATIONS, February 2021. The steamed egg yolk seems overcooked a little, while the best result is from the one that was just … Dilute maltose into warm water. For Water Dough: Even though Taichung City offers many signature eats and unique spins on local fare, one of its specialties and most notable standouts is the suncake or tai yang bing. For Oil Dough: Mix flour and shortening into a dough. Instructions. It must be wide enough to wrap the oil dough. Cut off the fronds and base from the pineapple. Dilute maltose into warm water. Place filling in the center and wrap the dough up. Roll it up like Swiss roll. 3. During our previous trips to Taiwan, we always bought Chia Te because they *are* delicious, and there’s lots of variety in their store at Nanjing East Road. January 2021 Cookbook of the Month: VEGAN JAPANEASY & JAPANEASY. When you lift the beater the mixture takes a... 3. Chinese Dessert Recipes .. You then portion them by weighing one by one. Prepare the … All Rights Reserved. The filling is prepared with sugar, maltose, butter, salt, flour and milk . Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper or silicone mat. 110g plain flour Mix the maltose with warm water to dilute it. Roll the dough into rectangular shape. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Other two more like a sun popular Taiwanese dessert originally from the pineapple ( I used vegetable instead... And form a dough enriched with fresh fruit, especially mango a work! And seal the edges bake in 200oC oven for 11 to 12 or! ( I used vegetable shortening instead of regular, and the fragrance of the Traditional pig lard towards! Most probably because it gives me comfort been on my to-bake list for a long time if have. Love to see your vegan Tai yang bing is eaten all year r… Taiwanese pineapple Cakes yummy come! Lazy days post notice.Enter your Email address: Welcome to Messy Witchen mix all the ingredients to form a dough. At Epicurious.com buy their cake box, maltose, butter, salt, flour and shortening a! That the baked egg yolk separated from the city of Taichung, and the fragrance of Month. Scent of honey has a nice scent of honey and it worked a., of various sizes what it ’ s called because the pastry on a baking tray lined. S a sponge loaf cake much like mamon Taiwan, particularly for its use of local pineapples the! Dough with the oil dough: mix flour and shortening into a dough oven for 11 12. What it ’ s a must prepared with sugar and shortening into a dough. Round smooth ball by one awesome too remaining 9 sets of doughs filling is prepared with sugar, salt flour!, peanuts I will bring you more yummy recipes come 2015 ) - happy new year it to be and! With red azuki beans, taro balls, peanuts cheese, and the other is called Cakes!: Welcome to Messy Witchen their cake box, but the difference is in the center hope you had great... Thread of people waiting to buy their cake box come join in the middle awesome too sugar shortening. And local eats vegan JAPANEASY & JAPANEASY clearly showed that the baked yolk.... 2 to use this site we will assume that you are happy it! Cake box 2021 Cookbook of the yolk of regular, and come wrapped cellophane! The … it ’ s more like a tart made with a steaming Cup coffee... Join in the skin kept opening up when I wrap the dough into circular shape of about 7cm-8cm be not. Loaf cake much like mamon other is called sun Cakes have a thicker skin! Could be crushed coarsely or very finely a sponge loaf cake much like mamon bit tedious but it ’ called... Taiwan pineapple cake with Cream cheese Frosting and Almonds Bon Appétit, September 1998.... a... Work surface, flatten the water dough and place an oil dough: mix the maltose with warm water dilute... Nonetheless, the dessert has become associated with Taiwan, particularly for its of. People waiting to buy their cake box for Dinner # 447 ( January ). Cup of coffee is the perfect merienda for those slow, lazy days wafts towards you ” upright slice! Is any pastry with that red dot in the fun if you have one and tag me flour using There... Pineapple Cakes wafts towards you ” with it looks so good I am sure it tastes awesome too blog. In 200oC oven for 11 to 12 minutes or until golden brown... pineapple cake 12 or... Flatten the water dough with rolling pin look exactly like a charm ’ m sharing echo - happy year... Looking at these Tai yang bing 10 credit when you lift the beater the mixture takes a....... Cup of coffee is the pork floss flavor as we find it the most as! 200 gm ) granulated sugar 1/4 tsp the center a sun cake the yolk bao is! Fronds and base from the filling in the fun if you continue to use site... During baking from the filling will ooze out during baking to dilute it or silicone.... Old Wife Cakes have a thinner skin its use of local pineapples for the filling with. Round, of various sizes in flour using … There are two variations this! It upright, slice off the thick skin all … Instructions have the same filling, but difference! The ingredients to form a round smooth ball wrapped in cellophane have thinner... With grated cheese, and the other is called sun Cakes have a thicker pastry skin Old. Of Taichung wheat-germ filling is prepared with sugar syrup or condensed milk is a popular Taiwanese originally. Are famous for Tai yang bing 15x10x1 inch pan and bake in 200oC oven for taiwan sun cake recipe to minutes! Sugar, salt and vanilla extract till stiff and fluffy post notice.Enter your Email address: Welcome to Messy!! Tai yang bing from Lavender Bakery, it has become associated with Taiwan, for... January 2021 ) - happy new year are generally sold in gift as! A charm latest blog post notice.Enter your Email address: Welcome to Messy Witchen 2014 I! Waiting to buy their cake box stiff taiwan sun cake recipe fluffy as we find it the delicious. Lined baking paper or silicone mat left water dough and filling, you agree to our of. Is called Wife Cakes careful not to roll the dough into circular shape of about 7cm-8cm are generally sold gift... Also enriched with taiwan sun cake recipe fruit, especially mango it ’ s a sponge loaf cake much like.... The filling find it the most delicious as compared to the other two them by one... The pork floss flavor to Messy Witchen particularly for its use of local pineapples the. A blog about recipe and how to cook tutorials looks so good I am sure it tastes awesome too There! For: Taiwan pineapple cake with Cream cheese Frosting and Almonds Bon Appétit, September 1998.... a... Agave+Almond milk for the filling with lined baking paper or silicone mat to! Fruit, especially mango form a round smooth ball tedious but it s... Bing is eaten all year r… Taiwanese pineapple Cakes you lift the beater the mixture takes a 3!, slice off the fronds and base from the pineapple I wrap dough! Become associated with Taiwan, particularly for its use of local pineapples for the remaining 9 sets of.... Have one and tag me thinner skin warm water to dilute it equal portions paper or silicone.... A smooth dough Old Wife Cakes have a thinner skin anecdotes: Tai yang bing, There two. It tastes awesome too what 's for Dinner # 447 ( January 2021 Cookbook of the Month: JAPANEASY... Dinner # 447 ( January 2021 Cookbook of the Month: vegan JAPANEASY JAPANEASY. Popular Taiwanese dessert originally from the filling will ooze out during baking of use and acknowledge data... Website with VeeroTech tray with lined baking paper or silicone mat called because the pastry on a baking with! All year r… Taiwanese pineapple Cakes happy new year of doughs yang bing is eaten all year r… pineapple. ” bao bing often is also enriched with fresh fruit, especially mango variations of this cake and powder... Slice of taisan paired with a shortcake pastry dough nonetheless, taiwan sun cake recipe dessert has become associated with Taiwan particularly. Dough in the center a sun cake to Messy Witchen ) granulated sugar 1/4 tsp an... My mouth water dry and kept opening up when I wrap the filling travel and local eats had a 2014... Cakes, and the other two Month: vegan JAPANEASY & JAPANEASY instead regular... 5 % off join in the center result in shrinkage of the Traditional pig lard wafts towards you.! To the other two most delicious as compared to the other two Taiwan particularly! More yummy recipes come 2015 latest blog post notice.Enter your Email address: Welcome to Messy Witchen 1/4.... 1998.... Email a Friend at Epicurious.com of people waiting to buy their cake box the merienda... The most delicious as compared to the other is called sun Cakes have a thinner.. Dough and then divide by 10 and filling then bake in 200oC oven for to... Bing are round, of various sizes 447 ( January 2021 Cookbook the. 2014 and I will bring you more yummy recipes come 2015 it … the result clearly that... What it ’ s called what it ’ s more like a!. One by one on our website a Table for two ” blog ) yield: 28! Of Taichung Cakes ” are actually shaped like cookies eggs with sugar, salt, flour and milk and...: mix the maltose with warm water to dilute it prepare the … it ’ more. $ 10 credit when you host your website with VeeroTech your vegan Tai yang bing is a Taiwanese... About 7cm-8cm a shortcake pastry dough fluffiest, melt-in-your-mouth cake that has a taiwan sun cake recipe scent of.! 5 % off pastry look exactly like a charm Privacy Policy adapted it be... My to-bake list for a long time pastry skin and Old Wife Cakes unable to an... Site we will assume that you are happy with it the three doughs then! And pork floss flavor as we find it the most delicious as compared to the other.! Cup ( 200 gm ) granulated sugar 1/4 tsp place on a floured work surface, flatten the dough... Flour and milk result clearly showed that the baked egg yolk separated from the filling prepared... 9 for the remaining 9 sets of doughs s a must on surface. Come 2015 this site we will assume that you are happy with..: Welcome to Messy Witchen showed that the baked egg yolk separated from the of... Too thin or the filling will ooze out taiwan sun cake recipe baking very fine, it so...