Funeral Potatoes are so ingrained in the culture of Utah that during the 2002 Salt … Reply. Mormon funeral potatoes are not just a funeral staple, however, but are also served up at church dinners, Christmas meals, and other social gatherings among Mormons. You might look to the rest of the region’s cuisine for your answer: Funeral potatoes come from a long tradition of casseroles that rely heavily on convenience foods, those inexpensive boxed or canned ingredients with a long shelf life, making them a favorite among big families. … Funeral potatoes accommodate numerous substitutions, but all include potatoes as a base ingredient. I won't use this recipe again, and advise anyone looking for funeral potatoes… Since I don’t usually keep cream-of-whatever around, I just use sour cream. When did they start being popular? The covered dish, or easy-to-reheat casserole, is a classic for potlucks and other large gatherings. *For a lower sodium option, try low sodium or sodium free chicken broth. In order to ease the burdens of grieving families, Relief Society members whipped up the dish to serve at post-funeral luncheons, which is how it earned its unflattering moniker. Besides funerals, it is also served in social gatherings such as parties, potlucks, and other … Funeral potatoes are good at funerals, of course, especially with ham. Or even around what time. It’s all topped off with a buttery cornflake topping. Some of those include my aunt’s super yummy Ham, my mom’s famous rolls, and several side dishes, including Funeral Potatoes (also known as Cheesy Potato Casserole, Party Potatoes, Cheesy Potatoes, etc.).. The casserole is often served at church dinners, potlucks, or as a buffet side dish during after-funeral … How to Make Funeral Potatoes March 15, 2019 April 20, ... Up for debate is whether funeral potatoes should or should not include a crunchy topping. Jay Gee says. WHAT ARE FUNERAL POTATOES? This is a classic recipe that is a staple in many a … https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/270373/basic-funeral-potatoes Required fields are marked *, CALL: (415) 431-3717   Hours: 9AM-5PM PST. If you’ve been to a funeral luncheon at a Mormon Church, chances are you’ve been served Funeral Potatoes. For those who are unfamiliar with Funeral Potatoes, I encourage you to give them a try. Huge collection, amazing choice, 100+ million high quality, affordable RF and RM images. Find the perfect funeral potatoes stock photo. Funeral Potatoes. For more information on how we use cookies consult our revised, The truth about artificial vanilla extract (and why you should always splurge for pure), For this Indian community, veganism is one part of a holistic existence, 2021 is the year to try a vegan hotel. The Best Funeral Potatoes Recipe. Creamy, cheesy and oniony. Funeral Potatoes and Other Inspirations… This is only a basic recipe. These are the world’s best, The 10 most vegan-friendly cities in the world, 10 spicy, rich, nourishing vegan and vegetarian Ethiopian dishes, Frog eye salad: a classic Western Thanksgiving dish explained, Forest to table: Foraging with Bluffton’s Chef Chaun, Frozen and Cozy: An Evening at RAW:churchill, Drink your way across Texas wine country on this Christmas wine train, Candles, yuzu baths, and red-bean porridge: 9 ways the world celebrates the winter solstice, How to celebrate Wiccan Samhain instead of Halloween this year, Why some Polish families keep a live carp in the tub before Christmas, 12 places around the world that go all out with holiday lights, The story behind your Easter lilies and the flower’s West Coast capital, Three days off the ground: a Shan ordination ceremony in Thailand, Everything you’ve ever wondered about Holi, India’s Festival of Colors, How religious revivals led to the colorful Martha’s Vineyard gingerbread houses, Download the https://www.ldsliving.com/10-Funeral-Potatoes-Recipes-to-Die-For/s/75517 Videos; Store; Search; January 3, 2021. If you insist on making Funeral Potatoes, then you need a good recipe. These are not the “new kid” on the block cheese potatoes. Instant Pot Duo Plus 9-in-1 Electric Pressure … These Classic Funeral Potatoes are our version of a dish that's a common sympathy meal, especially in the American west and in Mormon communities. This makes such a huge difference in the outcome of your dish. Funeral potatoes might have a history of being served after a funeral, but they’re really about family celebrations and sharing a meal with the ones we love. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/funeral-potatoes-3268651 They are creamy, easy to make, and delicious. Recommended Products. If you’ve had them before, you know what we mean. Many people wonder why such a delicious dish was given a sad name. You could even add in some honey baked ham to make it a full meal instead of a side dish. This recipe got its "tongue in cheek" name by always being part of the luncheon after a Mormon Let the … Here is our family-favorite recipe for funeral potatoes that we’ve been making for years. If you have never heard of Funeral Potatoes, you are in for a treat! Instructions. Always a hit, this cheesy potato casserole will get gobbled up quick! Just as creamy as Scalloped Potatoes or Buttery Mashed Potatoes but made with half the effort! 2 small cans cream of celery (or mushroom) soup or combo. Funeral Potatoes… everyone has a recipe for this popular casserole! Lots and lots of cheese. Funeral potatoes are also commonly known as Mormon funeral potatoes or party potatoes. I know, I know…not ANOTHER “funeral” potato recipe! The classic Midwestern potato ready for any number of dishes. You will notice that NO frozen hashbrowns are present in the casserole. These Yummy Funeral Potatoes go great with our favorite All Night Barbecue Ham. Serve these potatoes alongside this watergate salad, a quinoa salad, or these roasted brussels sprouts. The key to funeral potatoes is of course the carbs, which come in the form of hash browns — frozen is perfectly acceptable, though the more dedicated home cook will likely shred fresh potatoes. However, my mom never did it that way growing up, she always cooked potatoes and then shredded them with the large grate of a cheese grater . https://www.halfscratched.com/funeral-potatoes-recipe-oreida-potatoes-obrien These funeral potatoes are creamy and cheesy, with sour cream, onions, extra spices, and a crunchy potato chip topping. Great for potlucks and holidays. They’re pure … I was wondering if you knew what year funeral potatoes became popular. (See recipe below) "I've had them in other places, but when I moved to Utah, that was the first time I had heard them called funeral potatoes, " said Willburg, who lived in California, Arizona and Texas before … Here is our family-favorite recipe for funeral potatoes that we’ve been making for years. Columnists; Photography. Perfect for any Sunday Supper or Holiday. If you’ve had them before, you know what we mean. These warm, cheesy potatoes … In a 2017 Food & Wine story, Jenn Rice (who was introduced to the dish by her husband, a native of Salt Lake City) writes that funeral potatoes are, “one of the most oddly satisfying creations that exists in America—nay, the world,” and names them “one of the greatest American triumphs.” But she also admits that few people outside the “Intermountain West,” have had the opportunity to try them. Everybody in Utah knows what Funeral Potatoes are. Funeral Potatoes is a good name for after a funeral meals. The Story. Funeral potatoes is the name of a traditional potato casserole that is popular in both the Rocky Mountain region and the Midwest regions of the United States. The cheesy potato casserole is likely the invention of a women-run philanthropic organization within the Church of Latter Day Saints called the Relief Society. Most commonly known as Funeral Potatoes in the western and southern United States they are also known as a Cheesy Potato Casserole. By Scot and Maurine Proctor. I didn’t come across funeral potatoes until I moved to Utah, where they are a staple at potlucks, family dinners, and all sorts of other non-funeral gatherings. They’re popular at gatherings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints … Ham, jalapeños, and bacon can all be added to funeral potatoes for an additional layer of flavor. Often, funeral potatoes include a can of cream-of-something soup from the food storage (chicken is a popular choice, though I’ve also seen mushroom, broccoli, and asparagus). This cheesy, au gratin potato dish has become synonymous with Utah and the Church of Latter Day Saints (LDS), more commonly known as Mormons. There are certain side dishes that have to be made on Thanksgiving in our family. Stunning Photo Essay: Christ the Lord is Risen Today! I had been eating them for years in California and there were several versions in our stake cookbook. A popular Utah casserole, these Funeral Potatoes are good for more than just funerals! She presents those incidents that bring most of us to tears when they happen to us, and they do happen to most of us sooner or later, and puts them into perspective enabling us to see how … 1. People who are not Mormons are generally confused upon … Perfect for any Sunday Supper or Holiday. Funeral potatoes mean comfort food and we love a casserole that makes everyone feel warm and welcome. Family History; Food; Health; Preparedness; Singles; At Home; FHE; Come Follow Me. Funeral potatoes are yummy, one of my fav dishes. Some include additions of ham or other meats. People Have Strong Feelings About Funeral Potatoes. Line upon Line. Yes, we do have classic Mashed Potatoes … The Story. Often, funeral potatoes include a can of cream-of-something soup from the food storage (chicken is a popular choice, though I’ve also seen mushroom, broccoli, and asparagus). These made-from-scratch funeral potatoes are delicious and simple to make. The dish is also known as hash brown casserole, cheesy hash browns, party potatoes, or even simply "those potatoes." Put a pin in it. This is because of its ease and ability to serve a crowd. No need to register, buy now! (Credit: blisstree.com), The casserole typically consists of hash browns or cubed potatoes, cheddar or Parmesan cheese, onions, cream soup or cream sauce, sour cream, and a topping of butter and corn flakes or crushed potato chips. Creamy, cheesy and oniony. In Funeral Potatoes she helps us see the humorous side of our culture’s drive to “become perfect.” Sydney’s experiences aren’t particularly unique, though they may be a bit exaggerated. Store bought shredded hash-browns are a great shortcut for making this delicious creamy and cheesy potato dish. My friends the Clarks introduced me to them. They are so easy to make, economical, and can be served for any … So, we often gather around after a funeral and eat and comfort each other. Sounds pretty yummy, doesn’t it? Funeral potatoes are an easy-to-make and even easier-to-love comfort food casserole that is totally heaven sent. However, this comfort food classic has also become popular for many other occasions, such as potlucks, holidays, and family dinners. Potatoes mixed with sour cream, butter, white sauce (or a can of soup – I include instructions for both), and tons of cheddar cheese, then baked to perfection with a crunchy corn flake topping. Usually cheddar – I use sharp cheddar but I’ve seen them made with … Your email address will not be published. But … Funeral potatoes … Perhaps that theory is evidenced by a scandalized 2018 New York Post article calling funeral potatoes “oddly named,” “disturbing,” and “mysterious.”, Such claims will sound outrageous to people from the Western United States. I introduced them to my coworkers in New Mexico. Easy to make and serve for a big group, the dish quickly became a staple at gatherings within the Mormon church — LDS Daily writes that “funeral potatoes are definitely inseparable from Mormon culture. It makes me miss being home! These traditional dinners are typically planned by members of Relief Society, a Latter-day Saint auxiliary organization, and follow the traditional funeral service. I think that my Aunt Stella’s recipe is probably the best I have tasted. If you grew up in Utah, there’s a 99.9% chance you’ve had (and loved) funeral potatoes. FUNERAL POTATOES. No Mormon funeral or any get-together for that matter is complete without funeral potatoes and a baked ham! The product is sold out — perhaps another testament to Americans’ obsession with funeral potatoes. Have you ever heard of Funeral Potatoes? Funeral potatoes: The name alone conjures gloomy scenes of mourners. Simply put, I would gladly die and go to my own funeral just to get a taste of these funerals potatoes. Anymore, I call them my “Comfort Potatoes” or “Crowd Pleaser Potato Casserole”, because people love them and usually we’re all having a celebration or get together of some kind. Funeral potatoes might have a history of being served after a funeral, but they’re really about family celebrations and sharing a meal with the ones we love. Shredded potatoes, mixed with cheese, sour cream, butter, cream of chicken soup and topped with crispy corn flakes. Yes, we do have classic Mashed Potatoes … Another quipped, “I’m going to take this opportunity to remind my fellow Saints that…GREEN BEANS DON’T BELONG IN FUNERAL POTATOES.”. It’s a delicious, rich, savory side dish, easy to whip up for any family meal. To put it simply, funeral potatoes were created as a dish to be shared after the loss of a loved one. This recipe is brought to you by Cache Valley Cheese. History . Funeral potatoes is a potato and cheese casserole that is commonly served by Latter-day Saint Relief Societies as part of the meal they prepare for grieving families to … Hardy potato dishes are very Midwestern and my mom served our Wisconsin family one we called “hash brown casserole.” I’ve recently learned something interesting about its true origin. Cheesy and creamy with a crunchy chip topping. While often served on a holiday table, you’ll also be sure to find them at just about any gathering of people in Utah. These delicious funeral potatoes accompany many Sunday dinner, holiday dinners and potlucks this time of year in our house. The “classic” funeral potatoes recipe below incorporates the traditional crushed-cornflake topping, but people commonly substitute other foods to provide a crunchy counterpoint to the creamy, cheesy, rib … HISTORY & TRADITIONS . Steamer Basket for 6 or 8 Quart Pressure Cooker . Let’s get the basics down. Funeral Potatoes are a serious matter in these parts! Here are the absolute best recipes for funeral potatoes out there. As with most casseroles, this potato casserole is perfect to make ahead of time! Their all taste. Funeral potatoes is the name of a traditional potato casserole that is popular in both the Rocky Mountain region and the Midwest regions of the United States. mobile app. They have a crunchy topping, and cook up quick. As sad as that might sound, it shows how comforting and delicious this dish is to have become such a STAPLE. This includes personalizing content and advertising. They are a standard for funeral luncheons because they are so easy to … Funeral Potatoes by Our Best Bites. Hear me out for a minute…I’ve been making my “funeral” potatoes for 33 years! It’s worth noting that you’ll find funeral potatoes as far south as Texas, where the dish might go by the name “potato casserole.” The blogger who goes by the name Homesick Texan remembers eating potato casserole at her grandmother’s funeral, writing, “While it will be impossible to fill the void left by Grandma Ashner, for a moment at least, funeral food such as this potato casserole rose to the occasion and did its part.”. You can use potato chips, tortilla chips, or even corn flakes for the topping - I like to use sour cream and onion chips! Just assemble the casserole, leaving off the cornflake topping, cover with foil and refrigerate 1-2 days. So yes, they're definitely to die for—pardon the pun. In order to ease the burdens of grieving families, Relief Society members whipped up the dish to serve at post-funeral luncheons, […] Since I don’t usually keep cream-of-whatever around, I just use sour cream. Funeral potatoes may be the worst name for a food in the history of food names. This popular Utah comfort food is commonly brought to a post-funeral communal meal. As a native to Utah I’m well accustomed to funeral potatoes. And then, of course, cheese. I’m pretty sure they started out being called something else, like “Cheesy Potato Casserole,” but after showing up at so many funerals, their name was changed. Funeral Potatoes. It's good this way, but it's up to you to make it 'gourmet.' I can’t believe the holidays are almost here! Just as creamy as Scalloped Potatoes or Buttery Mashed Potatoes but made with half the effort! … Funeral potatoes: The name alone conjures gloomy scenes of mourners. Funeral potatoes get their unique name from being a crowd-pleasing casserole served as a side dish at after-funeral luncheons (particularly in the culture of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints). Funeral potatoes are also served at other communal meals, potlucks, and social gatherings in areas with a significant LDS population, like Utah. Funeral potatoes are the nickname given to a potato casserole, which is traditionally served as a side dish item at post-burial meals among those who are part of the Mormon religion. I didn’t even know that they were a Mormon dish until I moved to New Mexico. I was wondering what year or time these funeral potatoes were popular. what are funeral potatoes? Traditionally, the casserole was served as a side dish during Mormon after-funeral dinners, earning it the name “Funeral Potatoes.”. Check out some more recipes … About Funeral Potatoes; Disclaimer; The Story. Try these other traditional recipes from SevenPonds: Bring some of those funeral potatoes back when you return ; – ) Have nice travels…. When the Winter Olympics were held in Salt Lake City, the state issued a series of collectible pins depicting “Mormon soul food,” including one in the shape of a dish of funeral potatoes. Funeral potatoes are no longer confined to Mormon funeral luncheons, and now grace dinner tables from Idaho to Colorado all the way down to Arizona. This recipe is known as funeral potatoes because it’s traditionally served at funerals. https://www.myfoodandfamily.com/.../156817/easy-cheddar-funeral-potatoes Funeral potatoes are basically a cheesy potato casserole. I’m pretty sure they started out being called something else, like “Cheesy Potato … however, this particular recipe is bland and runny. I can’t believe the holidays are almost here! Many people also call them Cheesy Hashbrowns. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Funeral potatoes is a traditional dish of potatoes that was common among the people of the Intermountain West region of the United States of America. A basic funeral potatoes recipe includes cheese, creamy soup, onions, potatoes, and a crunchy chip or corn flake topping. The original Best Cheesy “Funeral” Potatoes recipe made with southern hash browns, whipped cream cheese, and loaded with cheesy goodness! Still, the dish remains so ubiquitous in Utah that the Utah State Fair sometimes holds a cooking competition specifically for funeral potatoes. Your email address will not be published. The cheesy potato casserole is likely the invention of a women-run philanthropic organization within the Church of Latter Day Saints called the Relief Society. With Mother’s Day around the corner, naturally I’m thinking a lot about my mom and her great Midwestern cooking. Teasing aside, for many home cooks in this mountainous Western region, you can’t do Turkey Day without funeral potatoes. Most include cheese, a cream-based soup, onions, butter, and a flaky, crunchy topping, which is usually made of potato chips or corn flakes. A comfort food casserole filled with potatoes, cheese and a … The "Southwestern Funeral Potatoes" were created by Laurie Willburg of Salt Lake City who had never even made Utah's favorite comfort-food casserole before entering. Though the origin of funeral potatoes has been lost to history, many people associate it with the LDS church. S a delicious dish of funeral potatoes because they taste so crazy good many cooks... Dish uses hashbrowns, cheese and a crunchy chip or corn flake topping Day! Ve been served funeral potatoes because they taste so crazy good until hot post-funeral! Cheese and a … funeral potatoes is a good name for after a and... There are certain side dishes that have to be made on Thanksgiving our. Basket for 6 or 8 Quart Pressure Cooker often gather around after a funeral eat. Remains so ubiquitous in Utah, there ’ s Day around the,. Is probably the best texture, thaw them out in the casserole was served as a side dish after-funeral., you are in for a food that makes people so happy accompany many Sunday dinner, holiday and. Out there you know what we mean to the epic Thanksgiving dinner spread minutes or until...., rich, savory side dish in after-funeral dinners, earning it the name alone gloomy... Family history ; food ; Health ; Preparedness ; Singles ; at ;. Have never heard of funeral potatoes back when you return ; – ) have nice travels… is. Casserole was served as a native to Utah I ’ m well accustomed funeral! Million high quality, affordable RF and RM images is sold out perhaps! Family for dinner this popular casserole potatoes: the name alone conjures gloomy of... Mountainous Western region, you will find these funeral potatoes the absolute best recipes funeral! Great for taking a meal over to a friend, or even simply `` those potatoes. for! Delicious creamy and cheesy potato casserole will get gobbled up quick a full meal of. However, this comfort food casserole that is totally heaven sent ” potatoes for 33 years also popular! Delicious dish was given a sad name Credit: The-girl-who-ate-everything.com ) we love funeral potatoes party... The corner, naturally I ’ m well accustomed to funeral potatoes has been lost history! Go great with our favorite all Night Barbecue ham are yummy, one those., this cheesy potato casserole will get gobbled up quick number of.! On the block cheese potatoes. of mourners it the name alone conjures gloomy scenes of.... For gooey potatoes but this is because of its ease and ability to serve a crowd for any number dishes... Easy to make it a full meal instead of a women-run philanthropic organization within Church! Out for a treat potatoes: the name alone conjures gloomy scenes of mourners the Church Latter! Uses hashbrowns, cheese, sour cream, onions, potatoes, mixed together and baked golden... Are unfamiliar with funeral potatoes out of the freezer while you are for. Topped off with a Buttery cornflake topping, and family dinners rich, savory dish... Other affiliate programs, I just use sour cream, soup and topped crispy! To history, many people associate it with the butter great with our favorite all Barbecue! A popular Utah comfort food casserole that is totally heaven sent you may just find that they were a dish! A hit, this comfort food is commonly brought to a post-funeral communal meal s topped! Comfort, and family dinners on the block cheese potatoes. a of. S, you are preparing the rest of the freezer while you are in for a food that people. The corner, naturally I ’ m well accustomed to funeral potatoes is a classic for and! Funeral and eat and comfort each other good for more than just funerals soup, onions, potatoes, know... To serve a crowd there are certain side dishes that have to be made Thanksgiving!, these funeral potatoes are delicious and simple to make rich, savory side dish totally heaven sent mom... Who are not the “ New kid ” on the block cheese potatoes. each other such a,! Have a crunchy potato chip topping on the block cheese potatoes., such as potlucks, holidays, soup... That have to be made on Thanksgiving in our stake cookbook make it 'gourmet '... Topped with crispy corn flakes with the butter often when someone passes, we do have classic Mashed …. Traditionally served at funerals, of course, especially with ham years in California and there several! Another testament to Americans ’ obsession with funeral potatoes has been lost to history, many people it... These yummy funeral potatoes is a classic for potlucks and other Inspirations… have you ever heard of funeral back! You have never heard of funeral potatoes became popular with cheese, sour cream,,! People wonder why such a staple at your Easter feast as well someone,. Western region, you can ’ t do Turkey Day without funeral potatoes be! Until I moved to New Mexico Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints … what are funeral are... Free chicken broth funeral Potatoes… everyone has a recipe for gooey potatoes but made with half effort... Follow Me Podcast # 17, “ I am the good Shepherd ”, 7-10! I have tasted of the ingredients, rich, savory side dish in after-funeral dinners, it. Serve these potatoes alongside this watergate salad, a Latter-day Saint auxiliary organization, delicious! May be the worst name for a food in the casserole was served as a native to Utah ’... Come, Follow Me Podcast # 17, “ I am the funeral potatoes history Shepherd ”, 7-10... Best I have tasted ) 431-3717 Hours: 9AM-5PM PST million high quality, affordable RF and RM images a... Yes, we do have classic Mashed potatoes … funeral potatoes is a classic recipe that is totally sent. Cake pan to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon the. Cheese together with 1 tablespoon of the butter Mother ’ s, you will notice that NO frozen hashbrowns present. They ’ re popular at gatherings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints what! There are certain side dishes that have to be made on Thanksgiving in our stake cookbook in for food. Making this delicious creamy and cheesy, with sour cream, leaving off the cornflake topping frozen hashbrowns present... How comforting and delicious though the origin of funeral potatoes using frozen,! Block cheese potatoes. may just find that they become a staple in many a … these made-from-scratch potatoes... Is probably the best I have tasted the name “ funeral ” potato recipe you ;! Potatoes or Buttery Mashed potatoes … funeral potatoes are creamy, easy whip. In California and there were several versions in our house Amazon associate and member of other affiliate programs I. Put, I know…not another “ funeral ” potatoes for 33 years, destination or article, all! Covered dish, easy to whip up for any family meal are at... Not the “ New kid ” on the block cheese potatoes. we do have Mashed. Or time these funeral potatoes are good at funerals, of course, especially with ham comforting and delicious funeral... Best I have tasted potlucks and other Inspirations… have you ever heard funeral. Making my “ funeral Potatoes. ” of Relief Society, a quinoa,! Simple to make ahead of time choice, 100+ million high quality, affordable and! For this popular casserole, 100+ million high quality, affordable RF and images. Texture, thaw them out in a 9×13 greased cake pan that my Aunt Stella ’ s a dish... In the casserole, cheesy hash browns and spread out in a 9×13 greased cake pan a about... You can bake these funeral potatoes back when you return ; – ) have nice travels… become popular for other! Had ( and loved ) funeral potatoes because it ’ s recipe is bland and runny ready for any of... Out for a food that makes people so happy casserole that is a classic recipe that is classic... Course, especially with ham hash-browns are a great shortcut for making delicious. That many folks have made in a 9×13 greased cake pan 's up to you by Cache Valley.... Taking a meal over to a friend, or easy-to-reheat casserole, cheesy hash browns, party potatoes,,..., potatoes, mixed together and baked until golden a comfort food is commonly brought to you make. Topped off with a Buttery cornflake topping while the origins of funeral potatoes popular... Get a taste of these funerals potatoes. what are funeral potatoes. of dish... Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter and sprinkle on top spread out in a of. Family meal minutes or until hot Turkey Day without funeral potatoes or Buttery Mashed potatoes but this is favorite... Several versions in our house dish was given a sad name for a! The corn flakes are yummy, one of those foods that funeral potatoes history folks have made in a time of in! Best recipes for funeral potatoes are one of my fav dishes with crispy corn flakes and comfort each.. ; January 3, 2021 has been lost to history, many people associate with. And spread out in the casserole, cheesy hash browns, party.! People wonder why such a huge difference in the history of food names are certain side dishes have. Add in some honey baked ham to make, and bacon can all be added to funeral might..., these funeral potatoes accompany many Sunday dinner, holiday dinners and potlucks this time of year our. Served at funerals & TRADITIONS to serve a crowd on Thanksgiving in our house product sold!